Monday, December 11, 2006

Filled tomatoes

I love having people over for dinner/lunch. There's nothing better than preparing a special meal and then seeing empty plates and smiling faces - not to mention receiving compliments!

Our friends Thiago and Ludmila visited us again, this time to have lunch with us. It was a wonderful Sunday!

I chose this salad not only because of its flavor combinations, but also because of its looks. The recipe was taken from this fantastic book - not a surprise being Donna Hay's.
Btw, I used more Donna Hay's recipes for that meal - a huge success!!

Adding rocket was my idea.

Filled tomatoes
from Entertaining

4 tomatoes
4 bocconcini, sliced
33g shaved parmesan cheese – I omitted, since I was going to serve a parmesan and black olive risotto
basil leaves
a small bunch of rocket - optional
120ml balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar – I omitted, since one of my guests can’t have any sugar
Sea salt and cracked black pepper

Cut slits almost completely through the tomatoes, leaving the bases intact. Fill with the bocconcini, parmesan and basil. Combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper and pour over the tomatoes. Allow to stand for as least 20 minutes – I skipped this part, because of the rocket (it would get wilted). Instead, I put the dressing in a sauce boat.

Serves 4 (or 2 very hungry people)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe makes such a gorgeous presentation too. It looks very good!

Gattina Cheung said...

Agree! Very attractive presentation! And the peppery taste from rocket (I usually call it arugula) is just perfect for this salad! I really like your salad a lot Pat!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Kristen! Thank you for the lovely comment!

Gattina, thank you! I'm glad you liked it - so did my guests!

Related Posts with Thumbnails